Challah: A Weekly Tradition

One of our Friday night traditions is to have a thoughtful, intentional family meal to bring our work week to an end. Some people do pizza or go out, but we've chosen to make it all about being together after a busy week and slowing things down with good food and family time. Of all the meals, I put the most thought and prep into this dinner. I want it to be filling, full of flavor, and from my heart. One thing that sets this meal apart is the homemade bread. Now, I'll be honest... sometimes it's been a long week or I don't have enough time and I buy a loaf from the store, but it really isn't the same. There's something particularly magical about mixing and kneading dough, allowing it to rise, filling your home with the aroma as it bakes, and then sinking your teeth into a fresh, warm slice. It's worth every bit of effort.

The bread of choice for us is challah. I've tried a few different recipes through the years, but finally found one that, I think, tastes great and is easy to make. I hope my children will always remember the taste of their Mom's challah and the thought and care I put into preparing these meals each week. As they grow older, I pray they look forward to this meal and the sense of grounding and belonging that it brings. I have visions of gathering together, in the future, to share intimate thoughts, sing silly songs, tell jokes, and play games. Those things don't just happen, though. It takes our being intentional to carve out that time. Since my babies were born, they've joined us at the Sabbath table - in Mom or Dad's arms, laying in the swing next to us, or in a highchair. Start 'em young, I say!

Do you have special traditions with your family? Times that you set aside for making memories together? What do you hope your children look back on and remember about the time you spent together? Maybe that's a hefty question, but it's a good one... it'll shape the choices you make now.

And so, from my kitchen to yours, here's my challah recipe.



Challah 

*makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves

1 cup warm water
3/4 T. active dry yeast
1/2 T. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil (I use avocado oil, but olive oil would be fine too.)
1 egg
3-4 cups of flour

In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for 5 minutes. 

Stir in the salt, sugar, oil, and egg until well blended.

Gradually stir in the flour. Don't add it all at once - you want to add enough to make a stiff dough, but you don't want it to be dry. Take it easy, mmkay?

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. At this point, you can add a little more flour (a spoonful at a time) if needed. Challah should be tacky, but not sticking to your hands. You'll get a good feel for the right consistency the more you make it. 

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough (literally, punch the dough - go ahead, get after it!) and divide into 2 small balls or keep as one large ball, depending on how many loaves you want to have. 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Now, this part is what makes challah, challah. You're going to braid the dough. Just like you would braid hair! If you don't know how to do that.....well, youtube it. Ha! Separate the dough ball into 3 pieces and roll each one into a long strand. Then braid the strands. I like to start in the middle, braid down, and then braid the top. Why? Because I just do. How's that for an answer?



It's traditional to whisk an egg and brush it over the top of the braided challah before you bake it. This gives the challah a beautiful glaze and helps it brown. But, it also uses an extra egg, and I really like eggs, so I don't usually want to "waste" one by using it to glaze my bread. To each their own!


Bake for 30-40 minutes until deep golden brown. Voila! Done. 

I hope you enjoy this bread - with family, with friends, or keep it all to yourself. I won't judge. 


Comments

Popular Posts