Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Peppers: comforting, easy, delicious, filling.  There are so many different concoctions that you can stuff into a bell pepper.  This particular recipe was sent to me by my lovely sister, Megan.  (Thanks for sharing it, Meg!)


The original recipe calls for quinoa, which I would have liked to use, but I didn't have any on hand.  Next time, I'll definitely try it that way (less carbs! yay!).  She also adds an extra step for the peppers (microwaving them before baking), but I didn't want to do that.  One last thing, you'll get enough filling for 6 pepper halves, but I only made 4 and ended up using the leftover filling for another dish.  Here's the link to the original recipe...
http://www.onelovelylife.com/?p=4854

I changed a couple of things in order to fit my own taste/convenience.  So, follow mine or follow her's, but either way you'll come out with a super yummy dinner! 



Mexican Stuffed Peppers

3 green bell peppers, halved lengthwise
1 cup brown rice
4 green onions, chopped
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 roma tomato, diced (I did not seed mine like she suggests)
1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can (15 oz) enchilada sauce (she suggests making your own...and I'll do that next time, for sure!)
Cheddar cheese, grated



1.  Cook the brown rice to package directions.
2.  While the rice is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients (minus the enchilada sauce and cheese) in a bowl.  When the rice has finished cooking, add it to the bowl.  Mix.  Taste test to make sure you have seasoned the rice mixture to your liking.
3.  Slice the bell peppers in half, lengthwise.  Pour half of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  Arrange the peppers to fit snuggly in the dish. 
4.  Fill each pepper with a generous mound of the rice mixture. Top the peppers with more enchilada sauce and grated cheese.
5.  Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.  The stuffing should be bubbly and the cheese should be melted and starting to brown.

Yum. Yum. Goodness.

Sorry for the less than impressive pictures.  I assure you, though.... this dish is so so so good! Just try it! :)

Comments

Popular Posts