Blueberry Muffins and Sleepy Babies

     The other day, as I was babysitting my little friend, Flynn, I decided to make some blueberry muffins.  Though I typically like to buy vegetables and fruits when they're in season (and blueberries are definitely not in season right now), I had purchased some fresh blueberries on a whim.  They needed to be used, so my solution... blueberry muffins!  Once again, my hubby's coworkers would have a yummy treat to start their work day.  

     
     After giving Flynn a few new tupperware items to keep him preoccupied, I set out baking.  I chose a recipe from the "Joy of Cooking" as I knew it would be foolproof.  The muffins turned out delicious!!  While the recipe said it would yield 12 muffins, I got 14 out of it - perfect for Perry and I to each try one and for the rest to be taken to work with him.  

I love it when things work out like that! :)


Here's the recipe:

"Whisk together thoroughly in a large bowl:
2 cups all purpose-flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached)
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
(1/4 tsp grated or ground nutmeg)
Whisk together in another bowl:
2 large eggs
1 cup milk or cream (I used whole milk)
2/3 cup sugar or packed light brown sugar (I used evaporated cane juice)
1/4 to 1/2 cup (1/2 to 1 stick) butter, melted, or 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup butter)
1 tsp vanilla

Add to the flour mixture and mix together with a few light strokes just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Do not overmix; the batter should not be smooth.  Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
Place in a 400 degree oven.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, about 17 minutes (or longer for variations with fruit).  Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the pan.  If not serving hot, let cool on a rack."


For the blueberry portion:
Prepare the muffin recipe "using 1/3 cup sugar and folding into the batter 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries.  Before baking, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar".


Regarding the amount of butter that should be used:
"The flexible amount of butter or oil allows control of the richness with the following advice: Muffins made to be eaten warm from the oven are perfectly delicious with 1/4 cup butter or oil.  If muffins must be made hours before they will be consumed, or even the day before, you are wise to use 1/2 cup butter or oil."


     Isn't that helpful?  I love this cookbook!!  There are literally thousands of recipes and so much general kitchen "knowledge".  If you want to learn how to cook, I highly recommend this book!  Here's a link to the book on Amazon in case you want to buy it right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Cooking-75th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0743246268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360173485&sr=8-1&keywords=joy+of+cooking



     One thing I'll mention about my experience making these muffins...
Because of the melted butter and the juice from the blueberries, I found that my muffins sizzled over a bit and therefore made my house a wee bit smoky.  Nothing a few open windows couldn't fix. :)  But just be prepared!  You have a couple of options: don't fill the muffins as full as I did or place a foil lined baking sheet underneath your muffin pan.

     Make these Sunday night and bring them into work with you Monday morning.  Everyone will love you, I'm sure of it!!  I mean, who doesn't love a blueberry muffin?  

Totally ready for a nap! 

Comments

  1. Katie, I love your apron! Where and who did you get that from?! Aso, I can't wait to try and make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask...I got that apron from my beautiful, wonderful, amazing sister! Isn't she great? ;)
      Make 'em! Do it! Do it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!

Popular Posts