Israeli Hummus

Several years ago I traveled with my (then) fiance and his family to experience the land, culture, and incredible history of Israel. It was an unforgettable trip and definitely had an unique impact on my life.  One thing, in particular, that I appreciated was the opportunity to try new foods and flavors of the Middle East.  Still-hot-from-the-oven pita bread, juicy persimmons, an abundance of fresh vegetables, zatar spice... and the hummus!  Oh, the hummus!  So creamy, nutty, and absolutely wonderful.  We ate so much hummus during that trip - at every meal - it was crazy good!  


 Back in the states, I've been challenged to find a hummus that compares... it's all about the consistency! Sabra brand is the only thing I've found that comes relatively close.  Instead, I prefer to make my own, following a recipe book that my sister-in-law brought back for me from her time in the Land.  It's taken a bit of trial and error to get it right, but I'm getting closer!  Here is the recipe, as it is written, followed by a couple of tips from me.


Humus with Tehina
(Chickpeas with Sesame Paste)
          courtesy of Simply Israel: A Collection of Recipes from the People of Israel by T. Gila Levine

1 cup (200 g) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
3 cups (750 ml) water for soaking
1/3 cup (75 ml) tehina
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon pine nuts, optional

Soak chickpeas in water overnight.  Boil for two hours or until tender.  Reserve one tablespoon chickpeas for garnish.  Place the remaining chickpeas, salt and garlic in the food processor and blend to a fine paste.  Add tehina and lemon juice, adjusting to your taste, then mix.  The mixture should be thick and smooth.  Spread in a shallow serving dish, swirling it with back of spoon.  Sprinkle one tablespoon olive oil over humus mixture and garnish with paprika or cumin.  Sprinkle on top either reserved whole chickpeas or one tablespoon pine nuts. 


My tips:
  1.  Keep a bit of the cooking liquid to add to the mixture.  This helps with the consistency, making the hummus more creamy.
  2. Allow your tehina to come to room temperature before using, it's much easier to use this way.
  3. If your chickpeas are old, it may cause your hummus to have a grainy texture.
  4. The hummus will last in the refrigerator for several days.


Comments

Popular Posts