Cowgirl Quiche (with Pesto and Leeks)

For my birthday this year, I received a sweet little package from my parents with the newest Pioneer Woman cookbook inside.  I love her down-home cooking and I've never sampled a recipe I didn't like!  Talk about easy... She includes step-by-step pictures and instructions for all her recipes.  Love that!  I'd highly recommend her cookbooks for anyone who needs a little inspiration or guidance in the kitchen.  She also has a blog (which is where she got started)... check her out!

With my new cookbook calling my name, I waited patiently for the perfect time to bust out the first dish.  When my husband requested quiche for dinner this past Friday, I new immediately where I would go for a recipe.  There it was.  Page 34: Cowgirl Quiche.  Showcasing earthy mushrooms, fresh pesto, and bright green leeks, this quiche was to die for!  Seriously, we couldn't get enough.  We ate the leftovers for breakfast over the weekend and were legitimately sad when the last piece was gone.  Mark my words, this quiche will definitely be made again.  























For the pie crust, I recommend this recipe.  It's included in the cookbook and is also posted online.  I used all butter (no lard for us!) and was extremely happy with the perfectly flaky results.  From here on out it'll be my go-to pie crust recipe.  For life, man.







Without further ado...

Cowgirl Quiche (with Pesto and Leeks)
           *makes one 10-inch quiche, to serve about 8 

16 ounces white mushrooms, washed and sliced
2 leeks
2 T. butter
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 slices turkey bacon, diced (the original recipe calls for prosciutto, but I subbed it out)
2 T. pesto
1 recipe Pam's Piecrust 

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the mushrooms on a large baking sheet.  Roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, lop off the tops and bottoms of the leeks and cut them in half lengthwise.
4. Slice each half thinly...
5. And soak the leeks in cold water for about 10 minutes to remove any grit or dirt.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the leeks in the butter until golden brown and beginning to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes.  Set aside.
7. For the quiche base, add the eggs and cream to a medium bowl.
8. Whisk them to combine.
9. Stir in the leeks, mushrooms, grated cheese, pesto, salt and pepper.
10. And turkey bacon.
11.The mixture should be very thick!
12. Pour it into the pie shell, then cover it loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too brown on top.  Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
13. Remove it from the oven and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. 
14. Place it on a cutting board and slice wedges with a serrated knife. 






 

Comments

Popular Posts