Salsa Chicken

Last week, while cleaning out an area of our house I came across some recipes that were given to me at my Pampered Chef bridal shower 3 years ago.  Instead of storing them with the rest of my cookbooks and family recipes, I had stuck them in a bag with our wedding cards.  Feeling sorry that they'd been so neglected, I immediately chose one and put it on our dinner menu for this week.

The claim (written on the notecard) is that this is a $1 million dollar recipe. How could I resist that?  I had to try it for myself and let me tell you, it's pretty dang good.  It's extremely easy to throw together and can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.  With ingredients like rice, chicken, and salsa it shouldn't be outside your comfort zone; however, the flavor becomes unique when you add the dried currants, honey, cumin, and cinnamon.  The dish goes from being everyday blah to yummy spectacular.  If you're looking for a way to mix up weeknight dinners, I'd suggest this chicken recipe. 


Salsa Chicken
     *makes 4 servings

3 c. hot couscous or brown rice (I used whole wheat Israeli couscous)
2 T. olive oil
1/4 c. slivered almonds (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
1 c. your favorite salsa (I used Safeway Select's Roasted Tomato Salsa)
1/4 c. water
1 T. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. cumin
2 T. dried currants (you could use raisins if you don't have currants, but it will give it a sweeter flavor)

1. While the couscous or rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown in color. 
 2. Add the garlic and let it cook for a minute before adding the rest of the ingredients (except the almonds).  Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes. 
3. When the chicken is tender and cooked through, serve it on a bed of couscous or rice.  Pour some of the sauce over the top of the chicken and top with the slivered almonds.

Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts