Weeknight Taco Salad

Sometimes it gets to the end of the day and you think to yourself, "Gee golly, I'd love to make something really easy and healthy for dinner!".  At times like this, I choose a trusty taco salad to get the job done.  Not only is it a cinch to throw together, but it's light and nutritious.  

I use whatever I have in my pantry/refrigerator and try to incorporate a good amount of vegetables.  You can include ground beef, chicken, or turkey or go vegetarian and just stick with beans (black, kidney, pinto, white).  I happened to have some cannellini beans in my cupboard...I also threw in a small can of diced green chilies for some spice.  

This is such an EASY dish and takes no time at all - plus, it gives you lots of nutrients and is way better for you than fast food.  My encouragement to you: turn away from the drive thru and go home to make a zesty taco salad! Arriba!!



 Ingredients I used on this particular evening:
1/2 a head of green lettuce
1/4 of a red bell pepper
1 green onion
1/2 an heirloom tomato 
1 avocado
1/2 a can of olives
1 can of cannellini beans, drained of liquid
1 can diced green chilies
1 clove of garlic
Sprinkling of sunflower seeds
Light drizzle of salsa



For the beans: I sauteed a clove of garlic for 1 minute, then added the beans and green chilies.  To make it a bit more taco-y, I added salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder (just a pinch of each). I waited until the bean mixture was warm, then added it to our salad.

Also, my husband brought home a wine that goes so well with Mexican food - Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin.  It's one of my favorites!  A little taco salad, a little sip of vino....life is good.  So easy, so yummy, and a much needed break from the hearty and rich foods that come around this time of year.  Feel free to add whatever ingredients suit your fancy and make you kick up your heels!  

Do it.

Comments

Popular Posts